Healthy Eating Tips
Eating healthy isn’t always easy. Today’s families are busier then ever and more often than not, the healthy choice is not the easy choice. But with a little planning there are ways to make sure we are getting the valuable nutrients our bodies need to stay healthy. Here are some tips for making healthier choices throughout your day.
- You are what you eat
- Good Fat or Bad Fat?
- How Much is Enough?
- Eat Your Fruits and Veggies!
- Healthy Eating on the Go!
You are what you eat
Did you know that our bodies need over 50 nutrients each day to stay healthy? There are steps that we can take to keep our bodies healthy. One of the best things we can do is to eat a variety of nutritious foods and follow these recommendations in Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide:
- Start your day the right way – eat breakfast!
- Eat three meals a day and snack only if you are hungry. Regular eating maintains your metabolism and prevents overeating at your next meal.
- Keep your bones strong. Choose calcium-rich skim or 1% milk, skim milk cheese and low-fat yogurt.
- Keep your muscles strong. Enjoy meat and alternatives such as lean beef, skinless poultry, eggs, fish or soy foods, in moderation.
- Take time to eat your meals. It takes about 20 minutes for you to feel full after eating.
- Eat together as a family. Be a food role model by sitting down at least once a day with your kids to enjoy a healthy, balanced meal.